Tuesday, May 15, 2007

So much for being healthy

Striving to live "healthy", and actually getting there are 2 very different things. Back in February of this year I decided it was time to finally give up my smoking habit, which for the past 8 years has been a a thorn in my side. I took it up 8 years ago, after having been quit for 6 years prior. Anyhow,needless to say, it was always something I said I would give up, but never could. So now I have once again. To replace the endorphin rush I received while smoking, I decided I would start jogging and running and that I would set a goal for myself of running this years 80th running of the Tely 10.

Things were going great, for the first 2 months. About a month ago, however, I started to feel pain in the front of my shins after running. The pain would surface hours after my run was complete, not during the actual run itself. I shook it off as being muscle soreness and vowed I would stretch more the next time I run. Well, of course we all know that doesn't happen! I ran my first 5K race at the end of April, and then my 2nd race 1 week later at Mundy Pond Shoppers 5K race. I beat my personal best from a week earlier by 2 full minutes. That's AWESOME I thought.... until later that afternoon I could barely walk around the house. I spent 2 days almost crippling around. Now it appears I have a bad case of Shin Splints. What to do about it? Rest, stretching, rest and more stretching. Apparently they will never go away, but with lots of rest and stretching they should get more bearable.

So much for doing good... perhaps it's time for me to return to my old habits... not that I want to, but maybe it will help me avoid the pitfalls of not running... those being that I am eating more and more and no longer losing the weight which running was helping me lose.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you need the motivation of preparing for a race, or beating your personal best? If not, why don't you buy an elliptical machine? There's no impact, but the workout is great. Using the machine without holding the handles will work your core muscles as well.

Not that I'm an expert, but his is what I've heard. I have an elliptical machine, and someday I plan to use it!

YourBootStraps said...

Hey Steve... it's not the motivation of preparing for a race or even beating my personal best that I'm looking for. I just wanted something to replace the smoking habit, and running was it. Each day I ran, I never once craved a smoke. The days I didn't run I craved smokes. However, I would eat! So now, without the running, and without the smokes, I tend to eat more and more.

But you're right... I already have an elliptical I purchased from Costco 3 years ago... been used about 20 times! See, I am not easily motivated to stand in place while exercising. If I'm not outside, it's hard to be motivated. But I guess all that aside, I should probably pull myself up by my shirttail and get on that darned thing... or sell it!

Anonymous said...

If you're not outside, you're not motivated? How motivated are you by shin splints? :)

Maybe you can put the elliptical machine in your shed and roll it into the back yard when you want to run...

YourBootStraps said...

I did the whole gym thing for way too many years... and an elliptical is a stationary piece of equipment that gets you nowhere. Now, don't get me wrong... it's sure better than nothing and sitting on my ass waiting for my splints to heal!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on quitting smoking. I bought an inexpensive TV and DVD player to put in front of my treadmill. I prefer to run outside, but living on the Wet Coast, it's often not convenient. I find that time passes more quickly when watching TV or a DVD.
Just a suggestion...

YourBootStraps said...

Sharon, thanks for the suggestion. A great one actually. I have resituated my workout equipment so I now have my elliptical and workout gear in a location where I can actually setup a small LCD on the wall or something. Now I can find a good use for those extra $$$ I will save not smoking... a nice LCD TV to watch while working out! :-0