Thursday, July 12, 2007

Is the grass always greener?

Why does it always seem like the grass is greener on the other side. I'm not just referring to my neighbours garden either! In everything we do, eventually it seems like the grass is always greener. Even when we get what we want, eventually we feel like it wasn't what we really wanted after all, and now we want something different. Or maybe that's just me...

Here's an example... a year ago we were too cramped having 2 offices in the same room. So I decided to finish my basement and put my office downstairs. Loved it for the first little while. However, yesterday Flo was working and the kids were home with me during the day, so I decided to use Flo's office upstairs for the day. Easier to keep an eye on the kids. And guess what... her office felt much more comfortable to me. To the point that I was ready to kick her out and relinquish her to the basement office last night! No joking.

Why is it that no matter what we think we want, it never really turns out to be exactly what we really want.... or is it just that we get bored too easily. Again, maybe it's just me. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Consume, accumulate. Expand your territory. You could win a million dollars and in a year you'd still want something different.

This is human nature. This is why so many people (sigh) end up ankles-deep-head-first in debt. This is partially why there are so many divorces.

The grass always looks greener. Think about the physics of it. You have to do all the work to keep your grass green. You have to feed it, water it, freakin' mow it. And then, when you look down at it, you can see between the blades and see the dirt you are trying to cover up. Now, look at your neighbour's grass. Maintenance free (at least you didn't have to do anything...). And, from the angle you are looking, you see nothing but the sides of the blades, glistening and waving in the wind. You don't see the dirt, because your vantage point doesn't allow it.

Get back down in the basement and stop yer bitchin'!!

YourBootStraps said...

Sheesh... them's pretty strong words at 10:00am in the morning!

And guess what... I'm back in the basement since she got home from work the other evening!

I like your analogy though. Sounds like you've given it a fair bit of thought. :-)

Unknown said...

:-)

One thing about the basement. The concrete is always greyer on the other side!

YourBootStraps said...

LOL... yup, this is true! :-)