Sunday, April 22, 2007

Running away from Smoking

It has been almost 3 months since I quit smoking and I honestly have to say that it is finally starting to become a little easier. Most days the thought of having a cigarette doesn't even cross my mind. Other days the thoughts appear, but quickly disapper. My main goal since quitting has become to run a 16km (10 mile) race this coming July. The race is called the Tely 10 and 2007 will be the 80th year of its running. Yes, some might say this is a pretty lofty goal for an unfit, non-smoke... but what the heck... why let that bother me!

So, my main priority since quitting is to replace my smoking urges with those of running. I have always hated running but this time I wanted it to be different. This time I wanted to ease into it, and make myself enjoy... if for nothing else then to get myself "fit" again. So I started out walking every other day, and have finally graduated to jogging and easy running. I typcially run 3.5km every other day, and on Saturday or Sunday I have started running a long run of 6.7km. Yes, that's still a far cry from 16km, but I take solice in the fact that I have still have 12 weeks of training left before the BIG DAY.

I am actually planning on signing up for a 10 week training group for this race... but I have to first get control of the major problem I am starting to have with shin splints. Hopefully with some extra rest this week I can beat this thing or at least get a better handle on what I need to do to control it.

No comments: