Thursday, April 19, 2007

Should Government Pay for Our Mistakes?


Well I'm sure this post will not be favored by everyone that reads it, but I'm not here for a popularity contest! This is my blog, and I am allowed to write about what I want here on 1/2 an Hour Later. :-)

Today I wish to voice my concern over governments' plan to compensate individuals in Daniels Harbour. Now, if you're not sure what I am referring to, then you might want to take a look at the CBC article Compensation in wings as landslides rock town.

Now, don't get me wrong here. I am not a heartless bast#$%d. I feel very badly for these displaced fellow Newfoundlanders. And I wish no harm on anyone. I sincerely hope that for the good of these people, and for the good of Danielles' Harbour, that they are able to receive some sort of financial support to help them get back on their feet again. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the financial support should come from the government coffers.

If I was to build my house next to a river then I should be rightfully expect there is a good possibility I will have a flood on my hands at some time. Same goes for anyone that builds their homes next to the side of a cliff. The expectation should be there that your house is at risk. So I question why we, as taxpayers, should have to foot the bill to rebuild homes that should never have been built in those locations to start with. It's not as if the government forced these people to build their homes next to a cliff. If that was the case, then by all means, the government should step in and compensate them. However, I doubt that is the case (but please correct me if I am wrong here!).

Think about this for a second.... if the government was, for arguments sake, giving out $50,000 to each family to help with the rebuild of their homes (this is hypothtetical and there has not been any mention of how much money the government plans to poney up for this effort). Think about how long it would take you, as an individual taxpayer, to pay in that amount of Provincial Tax.

I just feel that our tax dollars should not be used for these sorts of situations. The next thing you know we'll be looking for compensation when we leave our vehicles unlocked and someone robs them. Exactly... that sounds pretty dumb right? Well, how different is it from this situation? IMO it's not that different at all.


No comments: